Welcome to the AGMS
Motto: Each one – Teach one
Spinel twinned fluorite on muscovite, Pakistan.
Naturally occurring, inorganic, solid, with an ordered internal structure, and a definite chemical composition.
Mark your calendars and plan to attend the AGMS First Saturday Meet-Up and Network events April through September 2022!
First Saturday events provide opportunities for Members to meet Members; learn about club events, activities and outings; talk with experts; learn more about our beloved hobby; exchange information, learn and share your interests.
Family-friendly, free, fun event.
UPDATE: Our July and August First Saturday events are moving inside the clubhouse to take a break from this year’s already record-breaking heat. In an effort to keep it cool, we’re shifting gears to continue offering First Saturday opportunities to meet and network with other AGMS members and to provide opportunities to share and learn more about our beloved hobby. We will return to our clubhouse parking lot information and sales booths for the September 3rd First Saturday event.
Gem Capers // 2022
October 21 – 23 / Palmer Auditorium
The Austin Gem and Mineral Society’s annual gem and mineral show is open to the public and held at the Palmer Auditorium in Austin, Texas. The 2022 event will host over 30 vendors selling gemstones, jewelry, beads, mineral specimens, fossils, crystals and more!
Friday, October 21
9am – 6pm
Saturday, October 22
9am – 6pm
Sunday, October 23
10 am – 5pm
Picture credits: Paul Bordovski. Calcite and Scheelite, Campo Bonito Mine, Arizona.
Upcoming Events & Meetings
2022 FALL/Winter Classes:
AGMS 101: Introduction to Workshop and Cabochon Making
Prerequisite – AGMS Member in good standing (2022 dues are paid) and 18 years of age or older.
This is the basic class required for anyone who wishes to use any machines in the AGMS Workshop or to take any higher-level class at AGMS. Classes should have a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 6 students.
The class is 5 hours in length and may be spread over two sessions of 2 1/2 hours each.
Upcoming Events & Meetings
4th Thursday each month
The general public is invited to visit AGMS General Meetings in person or on ZOOM. Meetings are held at our clubhouse at 6719 Burnet Lane, Austin beginning at 7:pm on the 4th Thursday of each month. If you have a question regarding an upcoming meeting, click here.
Our monthly meetings are available via Zoom video conferencing. All are welcome to attend our meetings.
Here’s the meeting link:
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 854 5527 0931
NOTICE: Currently, we meet in-person with mask wearing as a personal option. We will continue to offer Zoom video conferencing to members and guests.
The Austin Gem and Mineral Society welcomes you to join us!
- Connection and networking with other rock hounds, mineral collectors, geological experts, jewelry artists, gem and mineral professionals and experts, gem and mineral vendors, educators, and a plethora of rock related subject matter experts in a wide variety of gem and mineral related topics.
- General club meetings offer speakers and presentations on a wide variety of gem and mineral topics.
- Access to our website membership portal includes access to member blogs, member specific announcements, posts on member boards, SIG meetings/topics and online discussions (Special Interest Groups: Min Sig, Paleo SIG, Silversmithing SIG, Jewelry SIG, Lapidary Sig, Faceting SIG)
- Access to clubhouse resources includes: large meeting room, lapidary/cabbing workshop, faceting workshop, slab shack saws, extensive resource library, and display exhibits of gems and minerals
- Annual events and activities include: Gem Capers (annual gem and mineral show held at the Austin Palmer Event Center), Swap Meet, Club Auction, Holiday Party
- Classes: Cabbing, Faceting, Silversmithing, Slab Saw, other classes are offered as needs and instructors are identified
- Field trips and rock hunts for members only
Advertise with us
AGMS welcomes advertisements to help off-set the cost of our website. Advertisement levels and benefits are currently being discussed by the Board of Directors and will be posted here when finalized.
Federation and Club Resources
Visit these other websites for related information on gems and minerals, activities, learning opportunities, and more.
Federation of Mineral Societies
The Austin Gem and Mineral Society is part of SCFMS (The South Central Federation of Mineral Societies). SCFMS is one of seven different regional federations in the US that are members of the AFMS (American Federation of Mineralogical Societies).
Please note that these links are third party websites that are not maintained by AGMS. AGMS is not responsible for materials found on these sites. Please use caution when visiting an unfamiliar site.