Welcome to the AGMS
Motto: Each one – Teach one
Spinel twinned fluorite on muscovite, Pakistan.
Naturally occurring, inorganic, solid, with an ordered internal structure, and a definite chemical composition.
WELCOME – NEW HOME, NEW LOGO
Welcome to the new interactive Austin Gem and Mineral Society website! While scrolling through you will find changes to the look, feel and navigation of the site.
Among the changes you will notice is our new logo featuring the culmination of all aspects of our beloved gem and mineral interests into a faceted blue topaz. This is not just any topaz…
Upcoming Events & Meetings
club Auction: September 11, 2021
The annual AGMS Club Auction was held on September 11 at the clubhouse and on ZOOM. Our heartfelt thanks to those who donated, organized, volunteered, and participated by bidding on items presented through the auction!
The auction provided opportunities for innovation to make items available for bidding by participants both onsite and via ZOOM. Using clubhouse video tools in conjunction with ZOOM live streaming, auction volunteers were able to present and announce items to all participants making on-line bidding occur in real-time in concert with onsite bidders. The fundraiser was fun and entertaining bringing in the highest total donations from live auctions at the clubhouse to date.
4th Thursday each month
COVID19 restrictions have been reinstated in Austin. Currently, we are able to meet in-person for our monthly meetings with mask wearing as a personal option. We will continue to offer Zoom video conferencing to members and guests. Members receive email announcements with the meeting link prior to the scheduled meeting.
The general public is invited to visit AGMS General Meetings in person or on ZOOM. To receive an invitation and a meeting link, click here.
AGMS on Facebook
The Austin Gem and Mineral Society welcomes you to join us!
- Connection and networking with other rock hounds, mineral collectors, geological experts, jewelry artists, gem and mineral professionals and experts, gem and mineral vendors, educators, and a plethora of rock related subject matter experts in a wide variety of gem and mineral related topics.
- General club meetings offer speakers and presentations on a wide variety of gem and mineral topics.
- Access to our website membership portal includes access to member blogs, member specific announcements, posts on member boards, SIG meetings/topics and online discussions (Special Interest Groups: Min Sig, Paleo SIG, Silversmithing SIG, Jewelry SIG, Lapidary Sig, Faceting SIG)
- Access to clubhouse resources includes: large meeting room, lapidary/cabbing workshop, faceting workshop, slab shack saws, extensive resource library, and display exhibits of gems and minerals
- Annual events and activities include: Gem Capers (annual gem and mineral show held at the Austin Palmer Event Center), Swap Meet, Club Auction, Holiday Party
- Classes: Cabbing, Faceting, Silversmithing, Slab Saw, other classes are offered as needs and instructors are identified
- Field trips and rock hunts for members only
Advertise with us
AGMS welcomes advertisements to help off-set the cost of our website. Advertisement levels and benefits are currently being discussed by the Board of Directors and will be posted here when finalized.
Federation and Club Resources
Visit these other websites for related information on gems and minerals, activities, learning opportunities, and more.
Federation of Mineral Societies
The Austin Gem and Mineral Society is part of SCFMS (The South Central Federation of Mineral Societies). SCFMS is one of seven different regional federations in the US that are members of the AFMS (American Federation of Mineralogical Societies).
Please note that these links are third party websites that are not maintained by AGMS. AGMS is not responsible for materials found on these sites. Please use caution when visiting an unfamiliar site.